Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Book 26 - Tuesdays With Morrie

Book - Tuesdays With Morrie
Author - Mitch Albom
Year - 1997
Genre - Non-Fiction
Pages - 192
Bought for me by my Dad.

There are plenty of books out there that I would say you simply have to read.  Some of my favourite books, such as A Game of Thrones or Harry Potter or even classics such as Of Mice and Men are all books that I would, and do, really push.  Even then though, I am aware that they are not necessarily books that you genuinely have to read.  They are brilliant reads, and you will really enjoy them, but I couldn't honestly say that you actually need to read them for your life to be better.

However, Tuesdays With Morrie is a book that you have to read.

Morris Schwartz is an American professor, who learns that he has Lou Gehrig's disease - a motor neurone disease that manifests in a way similar to that of Stephen Hawking.  When he learns that he has only months to live, he agrees to do an interview on Ted Koppel's show Nightline and a former student of his, Mitch Albom, sees it and comes to visit.  They then proceed to meet each Tuesday and talk about life, death, society, and a whole range of things.  Morrie has a way of presenting things that really speaks to Albom, and throughout the course of the book, Albom is able to communicate these to the reader.

Throughout, we are gifted with some wonderful pieces of advice from a man who has accepted that he will die soon, and is using the time he has left to try and work out some important things about life.  However, nothing comes across as being overly sentimental or dark.  Morrie has some simple statements which are simple, yet strikingly wise.  Coupled with Albom's own personal journey as he presents it, the overall effect is quite moving.

My Dad bought me a copy of this book when I was considering leaving a job that I no longer enjoyed, and I found it massively useful.  Since then, I have dipped into it from time to time, but I decided it was time to read it again, and I found it as charming and perfect as the first time I read it.

I regularly encourage anyone reading this to read the book that I have just read, and I will continue to do so, but if you only choose to listen to my advice once ever, then you should definitely make it this time.

10/10

1 comment:

  1. He chose to listen to me and I it made me so pleased.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete