Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Thursday, 12 April 2012

Book 18 - The Tipping Point

Book - The Tipping Point
Author - Malcolm Gladwell
Year - 2000
Genre - Social/Non-Fiction
Pages - 272
Bought for me by Bob and the Wench

It's brilliant when you start to read a book that if about a topic that you know absolutely nothing about, and then it turns out to be massively interesting.  Not only is that how I felt whilst reading Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, but I imagine it is how hundreds of thousands of other people have felt as they have been reading it.  Hands up out there, how many of you right now would say that you have a massive interest in epidemics, and how a fad or craze goes from being a small thing practiced by a few people, into a national, or even international, thing.  I should imagine that very few of you readers out there (which admittedly number ever so slightly under the hundreds of thousands that Gladwell commands) have lifted a hand right now, unless you are indulging in the British epidemic of tea-drinking.  Well, I wasn't one of those before, but now I am.

Whether Gladwell is telling you about how Sesame Street became the number one televisual educational tool, or how Hush Puppies regrew into a fashion force due to the efforts of a couple of dozen hipsters in New York, it is incredibly interesting.  He has a way of writing that means that you feel you understand things that should probably be flying over your head.  When he introduces terms such as the three types of people involved in spreading word about something - Connectors, Mavens and Salesmen - he doesn't do so and expect you to know what he is talking about.  He explains things thoroughly.  No story is lingered on too long, meaning that you never get bored.  Everything flows together so that you get the whole picture.  It is a complete book, and leaves you feeling cleverer than you did when you started reading.  Which is good enough for me.

Bob read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell during his challenge, and he and the Wench also bought me another of his books - What The Dog Saw - last year, and having read The Tipping Point I shall make sure that I read them both.

10/10

1 comment:

  1. Pleased that you enjoyed it. I agree completely with the line about finishing the book and feeling cleverer.

    Here's my review: http://100books2010.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/93-tipping-point-by-malcolm-gladwell.html

    ReplyDelete