Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Thursday, 29 December 2011

Book 59 - Around the World in Eighty Days

Book - Around the World in Eighty Days
Author - Jules Verne
Year - 1873
Genre - Classic Adventure
Pages - 161

When people heard that I was reading the Jules Verne classic Around the World in Eighty Days I tended to hear repeated to me a little fact about the book - one which if I am honest, I didn't know at all at the time - which I suppose constitutes a little spoiler.  There is no instance throughout the book in which our protagonist, Mr Phileas Fogg, actually uses a hot air balloon.  The balloon depicted on the cover is the main conveyance in Verne's earlier book - which is also included in the volume I read - Five Weeks in a Balloon.  It is tidbits like this that make me realise that I need to read more classic books.

The story behind the book is pretty well known, at least in concept.  On a wager, the enigmatic Fogg attempts to travel around the world in only eighty days.  This book follows his attempts to do so.

The question of whether I enjoyed reading it or not is a much trickier one.  For the first fifty pages or so, I was loving it.  There are certain books of the era that this was written - King Solomon's Mines being the other that springs to mind - which have an exciting pace that is very similar to a lot of books that are written today.  This has that feel to it.  However, for whatever reason, I became really really bored with the book.  I don't know why, and would love to pinpoint it to some literary reason, but unfortunately can't.  I just got a bit bored.  This could be the book's fault, or it could be mine, but however it goes, it is not a great sign.  I actually left it for about a month and a half, but came back in the end, and whilst I am glad I did, because it isn't actually a bad book, I can't shake the fact that my interest dwindled so much at one point.

As a sub note, it is something that I really dislike in books of this era, that each chapter starts with a line which tells you what is going to happen in the chapter.  I really don't understand why they do it, as whilst it isn't the most spoilerish thing in the world, it certainly doesn't help at all.  I end up trying my very best to skip my eyes over the start of each chapter, and that is a silly way to read a book.  So this is my shout out to any nineteenth century authors currently reading this - stop it with the chapter summaries.  They are rubbish.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment