Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Saturday, 12 November 2011

Book 50 - Bad Girls: The Musical

Book - Bad Girls:  The Musical
Author - Maureen Chadwick and Ann McManus (book) Kath Gotts (music and lyrics)
Year - 2006
Genre - Musical
Pages - 86

Plug plug plug!  I am playing Jim Fenner (boo!  hiss!) in DAODS production of this in February.  Come and see it!  Details are on our website.  And yes, that is me in the picture there.  Although not the legs.  They are Ellie's.

It seems a little unlikely premise for a musical.  Many are based on classic books such as Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera or old operas, such as Rent and Miss Saigon, and as an increasing trend, there are even many based upon huge Hollywood films such as Shrek, Legally Blonde and Big! The Musical.  However, I am not sure if there are a great deal of musicals based on ITV series from the early 2000s.

The first exposure I had to the show was watching the DVD of the West End production.  Aside from a couple of questionable casting choices - I would say that anyone cast in a West End lead should be able to at least hold a tune: the casting directors of this show seem to disagree - it certainly is an interesting show.  At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it - I have never seen the programme, and I wondered if it was going to be as goofy as I expected - but as the play goes on, it becomes more and more involving.  You find yourself really rooting for the good guys, and really hating the bad guys.  Some of the lines - and in particular the songs - are incredibly funny, and there is a real feel good vibe about the show, even allowing for its darker moments.

We are currently rehearsing the show, and I am having a great time.  We have a great cast, and it really allows for a good company feel doing a show such as this.  If you are interested in the show, then please take a look at our site linked above, or get in touch with me.  It's going to be very good (if I get around to learning my lines!)

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment