Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Book 29 - A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow

Book - A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow
Author - George RR Martin
Year - 2000
Genre - Fantasy
Pages -
Series - A Song of Ice and Fire

If anyone ever asks what my favourite book ever is, then I say A Game of Thrones.  I even wrote a blog about it being my favourite book ever.  Well, truth be told it is ever so slightly a lie.  A Game of Thrones is the first book in my favourite series of books ever, but it is definitely beaten by this, the third in the series, as the best book ever.

Picking up where the last book left off, this is more of the same, with the same marvelously written characters and intricate plotlines that made the first two books so breathtaking, but all of the best bits of the series seem to happen in book three.  I have no doubt that once Martin (finally) rolls around to finishing the series, we will have books that have even more exciting moments jam packed into a book, but as it stands, this is the standard by which all others need to reach.  There are so many jaw dropping moments that it is an absolute joy to read, and it is this coincidence of events that arrive in this single book that make it by far and away the best of the series so far in my eyes.

Of note - particularly with reference to this blog - that because of the sheer size of the book (this one is longer by itself than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy), it is no longer published in one volume.  I own a single volume edition of this book that is so massive that it is difficult to use, and is now falling apart, so I bought the two separate editions, each of which is about 700-800 pages in itself - mine are both loaned out at the moment, but when I get them back I shall check the page count for this blog, note to self.  I was not sure whether to list them as one book as they were originally published, or two as I read them.  In the end, I decided that they are so bloody big that they deserved to both be put down here.

I am itching to stick spoilers in here, but I shan't as spoilers are beyond evil.  I shall instead just reiterate - READ THESE BOOKS!

10/10 (unsurprisingly)

No comments:

Post a Comment