Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Book 7 - Cross Rhodes

Book - Cross Rhodes: Goldust, Out of The Darkness
Author - Dustin Rhodes
Year - 2010
Genre - Autobiography
Pages - 225 (sort of) 84

In the past couple of weeks, I have picked up and started no less than five different books - all of which I will get through - but haven't been able to stick with them for long enough to finish.  I thought I'd need to start something that I could just devour, and was quite excited by reading, and thus I took the plunge and bought a brand new book on Amazon.  This was the result - the autobiography of the wrestler Goldust (sorry, yes, it is another wrestling book).

For the majority of you who don't read wrestling books, a (very) brief history.  Around a decade ago, the wrestler Mick Foley wrote - without a ghostwriter - his autobiography.  In a profession where the acknowledgement that everything is staged has only been about for around twenty five years, this was one of the first 'behind the scenes' looks at wrestling, and was an amazing insight - helped by the fact that Foley's writing is excellent.  In the years that have followed, there have been a slew of wrestling autobiographies, ranging from the well written, interesting behind the scenes views - such as Edge, Bret Hart and Foley etc - and a few cash ins - The Rock, Chyna etc.  Dustin Rhodes comes from a wrestling dynasty who has worked with nearly all of the big names that I have followed over the years, and as such this had all of the workings of being an excellent book.

Unfortunately, it is one of the worst things I have ever sat through.  I could have learnt more about Goldust on wikipedia.  He glosses over career highlights, misspells the names of very famous people in the world of wrestling, I noticed three very obvious factual errors - I can only assume they were mistakes instead of lies, but probably proves that he hasn't even read the book, let alone written it as they are facts that don't even need research to be sure of - and as the most cardinal sin, it is incredibly boring.  Here is a summary of what we learn in his book...

  • Dustin wanted to be close to his father but they had a bad relationship
  • Dustin likes wrestling
  • Dustin wishes he hadn't taken drugs
  • When Dustin did some things he 'had fun'
That last point is very noticeable.  The writing is similar to some of our younger kids at school.  He says what he did, then follows it with a new sentence saying 'I had fun doing it'.  In isolation, fine, but when the first fifty pages of the book are made up of the four bullet points here, repeated over and over in random orders, and only sometimes in different phrasing, it does not make for good reading.

And mentioning the pages, there is pretty much nothing to it.  As a book that only came out the week after Christmas, I half expected it to come to me as a hardback.  However running at 225 pages, it wouldn't really reach that.  As I read it as well, I noticed just how much there wasn't anything written on most of the pages.  Leaving aside the large font and double spacing for now, I was so disappointed with the book that I counted how many pages of the 225 were taken up with either full page photos, full page chapter titles, or simply blank pages which are there for no reason.  That total came to 84.  That means that this 225 page book is actually only 141 pages long (double spaced with large font).

This is all so disappointing.  I really feel that Dustin Rhodes could have had something to say about wrestling that I would be interested in, but alas, it was all just a load of rubbish.

1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment