Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Book 3 - Teechers

Book - Teechers
Author - John Godber
Year - 1987
Genre - Play
Pages - 31

Yes, you read that right, 31 pages.  I have had a copy of this play since I was a drama student and bought it amidst a fit of guilt at only owning three plays.  I then proceeded to not read it, and it only cropped up again last year.  However, with a challenge to complete, I felt that I couldn't justify a thirty one page book, and thought I would save it for this year where I can afford to be a little more lax with my book sizes.

So, on a mission to read more plays this year - I am now a drama graduate and I sometimes have a fit of guilt over only owning four plays, including the one I bought whilst having a fit of guilt over only owning three plays - I grabbed this one off of the shelf and finally brought myself round to reading it.

And worthwhile it was.  I started out thinking that it was very definitely the kind of play that you needed to see instead of read - no problem with that, I would rather that than a play that you never would want to see no matter how nice it was to read - but before the end of the first act, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it as a story, not just a play.

The structure is that of a play within a play.  Three school leavers have been persuaded by their drama teacher (or teecher, depending upon your preference.  My spellcheck incidentally, is not a fan of this play) to produce a production based upon their last year of school, and how the new drama teacher has inspired them to become a little more than the toerags that they become.  The three students portray twenty different parts between them, and the script does well to paint the characters - an old fashioned deputy head, a stuck up PE teacher, a school 'cock' - which is where the play truly flourishes.  Having it about a school told from the point of view of school kids, makes the whole play work, and despite being twenty four years old now, could - with references to things such as O-Levels and Wham updated - work perfectly today.  Definitely a good play to start the year off with.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment