Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Friday, 31 December 2010

Book 99 - Magic Study

Book - Magic Study
Author - Maria V Snyder
Year - 2006
Genre - Fantasy
Lent to me by Faye Braggins

Having read the first in this trilogy the other week, I was very pleased when Faye lent me the second book, and read the whole thing without even breaking for more than a cup of coffee - this week has been littered with me reading until the small hours of the morning.

It's often pretty hard to write a review of the second of a series, as it tends to be much more of the same, but when you are reading a book of as good a quality as this, then that is certainly not a bad thing.  This time, our lead - Yelana - has graduated on from being a poison taster to a junior magician, and we follow her south to a land where magic is more tolerated than the setting of the first book.  I don't want to say too much more, as any plot points about a second book tend to give away spoilers from the first, and if there's one thing I despise then it is spoilers.

In short, it is a very similar summary to the first book - if you are a fan of fantasy books, then give this series a whirl.  I very much doubt that you will be disappointed.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment