Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Saturday, 11 December 2010

Book 89 - The Restaurant at the End of The Universe

Book - The Restaurant at the End of The Universe
Author - Douglas Adams
Year - 1980
Genre - Sci-Fi/Comedy

Having started the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series of books right at the beginning of this year's challenge, I have finally gotten round to following it up with the second in the 'trilogy of five books'.  And what a pleasure it was.

I have read a couple of books recently which have been a little bit of a slog to get through.  Not so bad per se, but not books I was overwhelmingly into, so it was nice to be reading a book that I could thoroughly enjoy and actively look forward to picking up.

Picking up right where the last book left off, we follow our main characters to the titular Milliways restaurant, and then onwards in Zaphod Beetlebrox's scheme that he doesn't fully understand to find the ruler of the Universe.  The whole plot to the series is remarkably silly - so much so that to try and explain pretty much any facet of the plot to someone who has not read any of the books, is pretty much a futile task - but at the same time covers all bases so that no matter how stupid the concept plans, within the confines of the book, it all is quite logical.

A weird comedy sci-fi series of books, I suppose that upon release, few would have thought that thirty years down the line they would be regarded as genuine classics, but I can't help but feel that Adams' books have managed to reach that level now.  And I couldn't agree more.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment