Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Monday, 15 November 2010

Book 82 - Double Indemnity

Book - Double Indemnity
Author - James M Cain
Year - 1943
Genre - Crime

There has been a little over a week since my last book review, and this is quite simply because I am reading a book on theoretical physics which is quite frankly not particularly easy reading.  I shall have it finished soon, and of course there will be more said about it then, but rest assured it is a very well written book.  It does however have one major drawback, and that is that it doesn't fit easily into my jeans pocket.

And thus why in the middle of reading this book, I happened to read Double Indemnity.  Late to leave for the pub on Saturday night, I needed a book to keep me company on the journey, and I quite literally picked up the first book from my to be read pile which would fit in my pocket and, well, pocketed it.  It was only once I was on board a bus and settled down to read it, that I discovered it was by the massively disappointing author James M Cain.  Oh well, I thought, no two books are the same no matter who the author is.  It appears I was wrong.

For anyone who doesn't know the rough plot of the last Cain book I read, The Postman Always Rings Twice follows a man who falls in love with a woman he meets by chance and colludes with her to murder her husband, before everything comes crashing down around him.  Double Indemnity however, follows a man who falls in love with a woman he meets by chance and colludes with her to murder her husband, before everything comes crashing down around him.

If I'm completely honest, this book is probably slightly better than his previous effort, but I couldn't believe the whole way through just how similar the two books were.  When you include the fact that Cain's lead characters tend to be a little unlikable, and the plots a certain kind of edge-of-seat awkward, it didn't make for incredibly enjoyable reading.

If you are a big fan of pulpy, film-noir type books then give this a whirl.  If you don't like reading the same thing twice, then don't start reading Cain's back catalogue.  I think this will be the last of his I read.  Unless I just can't fit that hardback book in my new jeans...

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment