Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Sunday, 5 September 2010

Book 61 - Hitman

Book - Hitman
Author - Bret Hart
Year - 2007
Genre - Autobiography

Well, following on from my big gap between reviews (I just managed to keep it under a month) I chose a 'slobberknocker' of a book to start up again on.  At just over six hundred pages, it is a good job that this is a massively absorbing book.

For those of you not interested in wrestling, this would be a tremendously boring read, but for the rest of us, Bret Hart has had one of the most interesting stories to hear.  From growing up as one of twelve kids in probably the largest of the wrestling families around, to working his way up through the ranks of the WWF until he became the champion roughly nine years after starting work for the company, and then on to the infamous Montreal Screwjob of 1997, before his struggles after a stroke back in 2002, Bret Hart has been one of the biggest names, and one of the most involved superstars of all time.

And it is all here.  There is so much detail that I am staggered.  Hart kept audio diaries of all of his travels from the early eighties, so there is plenty to go on here, and for long term wrestling fans there are plenty of great references to old school names such as Andre, Piper, Dino Bravo and Bad News Brown.  His writing (although almost definitely ghostwritten) is very readable, and I often found myself unable to put the book down - its constant position clasped in my hands was even mentioned by one of my sisters.  Just about the whole thing is engrossing, interesting, and well written - and what more really can you ask.

My only real gripe with this was how Hart tries so hard to sound humble, yet peppers the entire book with references to people telling him how he is 'the greatest person I have ever worked with' or 'the best man I know' or 'thank you Bret for being our champion.  You are so much better than everyone else who has ever lived'.  These are not exaggerations.  Anyone reading this book will be well aware that Hart is regarded by pretty much everyone as one of the best wrestlers of all time, so his constant reminders that everyone loved him comes across as a little desperate after a while.

Aside from this small moan, this is one of the best wrestling autobiographies I have ever read - possibly even better than Foley's series of books, and if you are a fan of the squared circle - especially a fan from the nineties - then I urge you to read this book.

10/10

2 comments:

  1. Is this turning into reading 100 wrestling books in a year...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tis only one more wrestling book than you have read this year. So far...

    ReplyDelete