Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Sunday, 27 June 2010

Book 50 - Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian

Book - Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian
Author - Rick Riordan
Year - 2009
Genre - Fantasy

Well as I reach the end of the Percy Jackson series, I also reach the halfway mark of The Book Challenge 2010 - and three and a half days ahead of schedule as well!  And what a great book to reach the landmark on.

If you have read the reviews of the other books in the Percy Jackson series - two of which I only posted in the past fifteen minutes so I suppose it depends if you are reading this blog in chronological order - then you will know that I have been enjoying them, and appreciating how they are improving over the past few books.  Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian is the best book in the series.  It ties things up beautifuly, it has exciting set pieces, and plenty of fan service the whole way through.  A great ending to a great series.

Just to make things even better, the ending sets us up a little for a follow up series should Riordan wish to do so (since confirmed that, yes there will be another series in the same universe, but with different lead characters coming out in October).  This is great news, as I feel there is a million miles of scope to sort this out.

In the past ten years or so we have seen a few new series designed for for children become must reads for everyone - Harry Potter and His Dark Materials spring straight to mind - and I would be happy to suggest that Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series is added straight to the list.

10/10

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the landmark. Yeah, right, whatever...

    Can I borrow The Great Gatsby please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first book of the new series the heros of olimpus

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book completely BLEW ME AWAY!!! It has everything: romance, action, suspense. I love how Percy and Annabeth fall in love at the end. You can really tell that the characters have matured a lot and it makes me want to start at the beginning all over again. So basically I LOVED the book and I think it was the best book in the series BY FAR!!! I am really going to miss this series a lot!!!!!

    ReplyDelete