Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Sunday, 13 June 2010

Book 40 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Book - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author - JK Rowling
Year - 2007
Genre - Fantasy

So my first big series reread of the challenge comes to a close with HP7, and the book that I have most been looking forward to reading again.  Like so many of you out there, I went to the shops at midnight on the day of release of this book and queued for two hours to have the chance to read it straight away.  Unlike probably all of you out there, I went by myself, but the point isn't how sad that is, but more that I was massively excited to read the final installment of the series of books most akin to Beatlemania.

And once I had it I whizzed through it.  One of my most hated things in the world is spoilers.  I hate knowing what is going to happen before it does - note the lack of important story information I put in these blogs - and I was aware that until I had read this book I was going to have to avoid the internet, television, radio, friends, newspapers and any other source that might ruin what happened.  To that end, I had read all six hundred pages before the end of the day it came out.

I didn't read it much slower this time, but I certainly absorbed more, and it was nice to see that what I thought was probably one of the best books in the series, actually was one of the best books in the series.  Everything is tied up beautifully, and as though I was a little kid I found myself wanting to jump up and cheer when something good happened, and burst into tears when something bad happened.

Along with the credit Rowling quite rightly recieves for making reading cool again, she gets a lot of stick for the simplicity of her writing, or the idea that her writing is derivitive, but she never gains the credit that she so massively deserves for creating characters that you care about.  I can see what people mean - although I disagree completely - that there can be a one dimension-ness about her characters, but when all is said and done I find myself truly caring about Harry and Ron and Hermione and Neville and Luna and pretty much all of the wonderful characters in the series, and there can be surely no greater compliment upon a series writer than the fact that upon reading the last book I felt truly sad that we were leaving everyone behind forever.

The impact that Rowling has had upon the literary world is undeniable, and I sadly doubt that we will ever see the hysteria behind another series of books as we have with the Potter series, but people must remember that behind the hype, and the sales, and the films, and the midnight launches, seven brilliant books were written and stand up by themselves as excellent reading.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment