Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Friday, 9 April 2010

Book 23 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Book - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author - JK Rowling
Year - 2000
Genre - Fantasy

In the whole reread of the Harry Potter series, it is Goblet of Fire which I have most been looking forward to reading again.  When I first picked up the series I whizzed through them in a week, and this book had only been out about six months, leaving me with the long wait for the next book to come out.  The first three were great reads, but this one had me absolutely captivated, and was the reason that I was there at midnight outside WH Smiths when the fifth book came out.

Reading it again, I was still totally spellbound.  This book is the fulcrum on which the series turns from a happy, primary coloured children's series, into a darker, brooding series which is truly for all ages.  Most of you will know the twists, but I still won't spoil them here, but rest assured, they make a massive difference to the series as a whole.

However, deeper than that, the book stands up as a wonderful story.  From the crowded scenes of the Quiddich World Cup at the beginning, through to the big event at Hogwarts which takes up most of the narrative, there is always something happening - a change in relationships between the characters, a chance discovery, a subtle hint at something that will happen in a later book - which for me makes this the most exciting of Rowling's books.  The end scenes of the book are proper edge of the seat stuff, and even knowing full well what was about to happen, I found myself in the same boat as I was when I first read it, and tried to read the pages quicker than it was possible to do. 

Consindering the massive popularity of the series it would be almost pointless for me to recommend Harry Potter - you will probably have either read them by now, or never will do - and of course, they would need to be read in order, but if I left these fairly important things aside, it would be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire that I would be recommending to everyone.

I have been trying to leave a bit of a gap between each of the Harry Potter books so that I am not just piling them all up into one go.  It's been tough as once I get going with them, I want to just keep on reading straight through without stopping.  Luckily, the mass of paper that is the fifth book is sitting ominously on my bookshelf at the moment, looking all of the black sheep of both my 'to be read' pile and the whole Potter series.  I think that this will be the easiest moment to take a break.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment