Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Book 22 - Wit of the Nation

Book - Wit of the Nation
Author - Richard Benson
Year - 2007
Genre - Quotations
Bought for me by my Mum and Dad.

This is effectively a big book of quotations from famous people - with the slant being that they are all British.  In lieu of a full on review - I think you can get the gist from the opening statement - here are some of my favourites that I flagged as I was going through.


You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
     Winston Churchill

Television is a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome.
     T.S. Eliot

New ideas pass though three periods: 1) It can't be done. 2) It probably can be done, but it's not worth doing. 3) I knew it was a good idea all along!
     Arthur C. Clarke

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're sceptical.
     Arthur C. Clarke

The only way to be sure of catching a train is to miss the one before it.
     G. K. Chesterton

Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subect to the regulation of conscience.
     Adam Smith

Real ale drinkers are just like train spotters only drunk.
     Christopher Howse

And God said 'Let there be light' and there was light, but the electricity board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.
     Spike Milligan

I am ready to meet with my Maker.  Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
     Winston Churchill


7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment