Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Monday, 5 April 2010

Book 19.5 - Mr Tall

Book - Mr Tall
Author - Roger Hargreaves
Year - 1978
Genre - Children's
Bought for me by Ellie Beaumont


As part of this challenge, I feel it is important to read the classics of modern literature, so it was with great pleasure that I unwrapped a copy of Mr Tall for my birthday this year.  A heartwarming redemption story featuring our protagonist, the eponymous Mr Tall reaching the conclusion (SPOILER ALERT!) that being so tall is not the worst thing that could ever happen to him (SPOILER END).

Each of the introduced characters has a well defined persona - Mr Nosy is nosy, Mr Greedy is greedy and so forth - and it is partly due to this, and partly due to the fact that each page has an average of about thirty words on it, that this is a real page turner.

If I have any critisisms of this book, then they are that the alluded to bromance between Mr Tall and Mr Small is not really developed in any real detail, and that not enough thought has gone into the socio-economic or political climates in which the action occurs.  However, I still believe that this is a book which should be listed amoungst the classics such as Black Beauty, Tale of Two Cities, Grapes of Wrath and Angel by Katie Price.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment