Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Thursday, 11 March 2010

Book 8 - How To Talk To A Widower


Book - How To Talk To A Widower
Author - Jonathan Tropper
Year - 2007
Genre - Lad-Lit (thank you Amazon!)
Recommended to me by Bob of Bob's Blog

Reading through the blurb of this book, it appears to be the kind of book that I would never read. A man loses his wife in a plane crash and drops into a depression. He has difficulty dealing with his grieving stepson, starts to drink too much, and has a dysfunctional family that he doesn't feel he can rely on. Books about people suffering are not my cup of tea, but Bob recommended it to me as a wonderful book he found by chance, and trusting him completely I decided to give it a whirl.

I am so glad I did. It is one of the most beautifully written books I have read in a long time, and in turns is both so wonderfully poignant, and outrageously funny, that I would find the same set of commuters staring at me on the bus for crying a little bit followed moments later by a big laugh. The characterisation is perfect, and you really feel for Doug, the titular widower, but as the story goes on, you start to see wonderful little idiosyncrasies of his life that are worth cherishing.

This is a terrific book that I would quite honestly recommend to everyone, and to finish on a massively cheesy note, I am glad I didn't judge a book by its cover!

10/10

2 comments:

  1. Pleased you liked it. 10/10 is high praise indeed. Overall, I just think the whole episode reflects well on me as a recommender...

    MJB

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I hate to admit, I think it does. It was the kind of book that I am already thinking of how many copies I will need to be buying for friends at Christmas. Let's see if Charlie Brooker is as good a pick!

    ReplyDelete