Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Thursday, 4 March 2010

Book 5 - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Book - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Author - Douglas Adams
Year - 1979
Genre - Science Fiction
Recommended to me by my Dad for roughly the past twenty years, and lent to me by Alex Campbell.


The above is not much of an exaggeration. My Dad has raved about Douglas Adams ever since I was a child, and has always told me that this is a book I should read. Adams is by far his favourite writer, and the only problem he seems to have ever had with him was when he had the bad manners to die without finishing the book he had been writing. Well, I finally got around to reading the first of his trilogy in five parts, and I am duly impressed.

Hitchhiker's Guide is a fantastically funny book. The characterisation is quite wonderful, and the randomness (a large chunk of the book is centred around massively improbable occurrences occurring) of things that happen is often laugh out loud funny. I was aware of the humour element of the books, and expected nothing less due to the high praise that they receive, but the thing I wasn't expecting quite so much was a truly wonderful plot.

Everything ties together in the way that you would expect from great works of literature, but that so often is missed by humourous books. And just to be the cherry on the top of the cake, it is the first of a series, so I have plenty more to look forward to where that came from!

8/10

Here is my review of the next book in the series, The Restaurant at the End of The Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment